Tuesday, October 2, 2012

First Lesson Taught Today!!


I got to teach my first lesson today to my fifth graders.  I went in to it extremely nervous.  I over worried about many things:  was my lesson plan complete, does it make sense, will I fumble over my words or will I pull this off (remember I had to not only teach but I had my professor and co-op teacher watching as well).  I would guess that most teachers, even the great ones that have been teaching for years, get a little nervous when teaching something new.  You hope that the students “get” what you want them to get, but every teacher has at least one lesson that just doesn’t go well.  I think keeping this in mind made it easier to do my first lesson (thanks Julie and Caryl).

Once I started the lesson, most of my apprehensions fell away.  I enjoyed being at the front of the class.  I loved walking around during their group work to assess whether or not they understood the concept.  I was so proud of how my students listened, did not give up, and worked so well in their groups (and all of this right after P.E. without their usual bathroom/water break).  I have 16 students in my class, and everyone did well with the lesson.  I had 4 students that I believe will need a little more one on one work, and I will get to go over the process of multiplication with them again. 

I think the hardest part of the lesson, and maybe every lesson, is to make sure that you don’t leave those students behind that don’t get it easily but also to not make it so easy that you lose the ones that do get it quickly.  I had some extensions and interventions in place, but I realized quickly that these were hard to put into place and hard to do with the time allotted.  I felt confident that my lesson would last 30 minutes, maybe a few minutes longer, but it lasted 45 minutes.  I am glad that I am as organized (OCD) as I am, because otherwise I fear that I would have gone over my time very easily. 

Time management in the classroom is so important.  We have all been in the classroom where they have a well laid out schedule posted on the wall.  We know exactly how much time we have for instruction, guided practice, assessment and evaluation.  The problem comes in when you start a really tough lesson they might not grasp quickly or just the opposite, they grasp it really quickly so you begin to discuss it and don’t want to interrupt a great discussion.  I did not think that time management would be my issue because I am so conscious of it, but after today, I realized that I do need to think about it in a little more depth to keep me (and my students) on task.

These are my thoughts for this week…I don’t know if I mentioned it, but teaching today was amazing!!  I wish everyday could be as much fun (even with the stress)!!

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you, you are going to be a terrific teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you really know your students and that you know their needs are. It's so easy to go over time (from experience). Who ever needs more help you can always come back to them later. I'm going to offer you my plan on following up maybe it will help. In the mornings we have centers before school starts and I plan on starting to be one of those centers, allowing 2-3 students to work with me on the lesson. I don't know if you can take that and use it but I'll let you know how it goes for me. But it sounds like you're really enjoying this time and working out your anxieties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts on time management echo what I wrote about in my last blog. I can reassure you that, after you have been working at the craft a while, you will develop a certain "sense of time." It is hard to define, but is certainly one of those fruits that experience yields. You will also grow in your ability to modify your teaching - sometimes on the spot - to meet the needs of
    students at both ends of the spectrum.

    You already have the most important tool, and that is your passion for teaching children. That comes from the heart. The rest comes with experience.

    ReplyDelete