Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Little Random...

     This week’s blog is a little random, but that is how I am feeling.  My mind has been racing a thousand miles a minute, and I cannot seem to keep one clear thought in my head.  So, I hope you understand when my writings are a little haphazard.
    
     I truly love the students that I am working with in my classroom.  They are teaching me just how fun and challenging fifth graders can be.  Tuesday was a sad day for us, though, because we lost one of our students who will be returning to her homeland of Ghana.  I was so sad to say goodbye to her yesterday.  She has been a light in the classroom. 

     We had a few moments in class to share snacks while she told us about how her life will be different and similar in Ghana to that of her life here.  We (the students and I) were all so interested to hear her stories of children shaving their heads before going to school (boys and girls), being whipped with a cane by her principal if she were to get into trouble (highly doubt that that will happen to her), and having to wear uniforms with only black socks.  Mostly, she said, the schools are similar except they expect more from you in Ghana.  I thought that was interesting because many of the students feel their academics are so hard.

     The students have been learning about a couple of different cultures this week for a class presentation.  They have amazed me at how interested they are in how other children learn in their countries.  A few have astonished me with the “googling” abilities to find information.  I am so proud how hard they worked on their presentation, and I am really bummed that I can’t see their finished product.

     Another thought from this week…

     Now that I have written one lesson plan, taught that lesson, and had to revise the lesson plan, I am quite sure that I have A LOT to learn about lesson planning.  I have never spent as much time on any paper that I have written for school as I did on my lesson plan.  

     In writing the lessons, you need to be sure to include as many possible scenarios that can play out during that lesson, make sure you include questions you intend to ask your students, and interventions for those students that just need the extra help.  I admire more the teacher that writes these lessons (and teaches them) with confidence and grace because I am hoping that one day I can be that type of teacher.

     I know that eventually lesson planning will become like second nature to me, but right now, it is overwhelming.  I enjoy thinking up new ideas, but then I get a little bogged down in how to reach all my students in one lesson.  I am in the process now of writing my second lesson plan for reading.  I am looking forward to teaching this lesson, because reading is my passion, and I want to give students the tools that make reading enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. I also have many cultures in my school as well as in my classroom. Students love the teachers to take an interest in their cultures.Even the small ones in kindergarten have stories to tell of foods that they eat in their countries or how they lived in their countries. I rememeber one little girl in particular who would come to school wearing these beautiful but different coats. When I would comment on how pretty they were,she would prouldly tell me that they were from her country. We as teachers have to embrace our diverse students and make them feel included in the classroom. They may not know all of our culture but they can share their stories with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling when you get attatched to the students. Each day they become more and more a partof your life to where they are your second third fourth .....child! Its hard when one has to leave especially when you hear stories such as the one described in your blog. Chin up it will get better and hopefully you will receive some letters post cards or emails??? food for thought. Good Job with the lesson plan! No boubt its the hardest, overwhelming, most time consumming paper we've had! It is also the most rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember thinking when I started teaching that writing lesson plans was largely unnecessary. I remember experienced teachers bragging that they used the same lesson plans every year. Luckily for my students and for myself, I soon realized the folly and pity of such a mechanistic view of teaching. The value of lesson planning for me is that it helps me to organize my thinking and, by extension, my teaching. If you do not already, you soon will understand how valuable your work with Julie on lesson planing is. I did not have that training and it was a definite handicap.

    As a child I used to love playing with Legos. I would change the shapes, shifting the same blocks around and connecting them in different ways. To me lesson planning is much like that.

    Have fun, imagine, and see what you and your students can create.

    ReplyDelete