Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Words of Encouragement...



          Brief note before I begin…I taught my second lesson this week with an ELA lesson.  Unfortunately, it did not go as planned and that was my fault.  I forgot to follow my plan to a tee, thinking that because the lesson was something I loved, I would be able to improvise as needed.  I was wrong…lesson learned.  Improvisation comes with experience not passion or a love of something.  I realized that I needed to have my notes in front of me because, once I got off on my “tangent”, it was really hard for me to find the focus of my lesson and objective.  So, note to self (and anyone else who may need this):  keep your notes handy and follow your lesson plan (why did you spend all that time writing it).
          On another note, though, I wanted to say how important it is to praise and encourage our students.  We have moments all day long where our students may drive us crazy with the talking or not listening, and we get on to them for doing these things.  But do we equally praise them for the behaviors that they do correctly such as working in groups well or writing neatly in their notebooks.  It doesn’t have to be some outstanding achievement for them to hear “Job well done.”  We may be the only encouragement our children hear in a day’s time.  As teachers, we cannot know everything that goes on in our students’ lives, but we can show them a little compassion and love that is much needed regardless how their home life may be.
          I have heard, “It’s not my job to encourage them.  I just need to make sure they learn something” from more than one teacher in my years as a parent and as a student.  Why is it not my job to lift up a child with words of encouragement?  Does it take so much effort for some to be kind that they feel it a chore to inspire their students with kind words? 
I don’t think it is a chore or even a duty.  I look at the children in my class, and I genuinely care for them.  I am not there every day and yet, I have fallen in love with them and love to praise them for things they do right.  I listen to my cooperating teacher and hear her doing the same thing.  She praises them when she can and if she needs to discipline she does that too, but never in a shameful way.  I applaud her for that because I know it is hard.  Some days our fifth graders are too talkative and just disengaged.  As a mother of a fifth grader that talks entirely too much, I have learned how important it is to still praise the child and not always discipline.  They need to hear more from us than, “be quiet” or “stay in your seat”.  We need to offer, “I was so proud when you did…” or “when you did this, it made me think of our school pledge and how you exemplified…” 
Just think about this when you are in your class with your students…be an encourager and ignite in them the passion that you have for learning!!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on the encouragement. We as adults look for encouragement all the time from our peers so why wouldn't children want that? We also love to hear encouragement from our boss or supervisor. Hearing it from your teacher is just as rewarding and will give the student a reason to pay attention in class.

    You are an amazing person and we are in a learning process. Your students enjoy working with you for a reason and I know next semester they will love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you are saying about making encourageing comments to students. It would seem that it would be automatic for most people, after all we all need a little encouragement from time to time. Giving encouragement goes along with simple courtesies such as thank you, please, etc. We would be courteous with our boss, why not students? They have feelings too. I have felt terrible about not being as successful as I wanted to be many times, and if that person talking to me says something as kind as, "I know you can do it," or "I want you to succeed," gets me over that hump. I don't forget those words. I get strength from them. Hearing kindness of any type helps me to forget the negative comments and move forward. Also, regarding talking to a student in a way that is not shameful and embarrassing is sooooooooooooo wonderful and necessary. I have seen much discipline or 'chewing out' done (first grade) either where all could hear when the discipline was focused toward one student and toward the entire class, and I have never seen an entire class of students all misbehaving at the same time. It takes only a few seconds of one's life to say words of encouragement, and more than likely a student will be motivated to perform in ways that will get him/her more moments of positive recognition.

    ReplyDelete