Wednesday, September 26, 2012


Wow…another week done with my classroom.  It is so hard to believe that I have been working with these children for the last four weeks.  Time has flown by, and I am learning so much about the children, their needs within the classroom, and just how much they want to succeed.  These children have amazed me in what they have overcome to accomplish what they have so far this year.

When I started this internship, I must have told everybody I came in contact with just how nervous I was about being in fifth grade.  I just knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that 2nd or 3rd grade was where I wanted to be.  I had such apprehensions because I have been through fifth grade with my three daughters and my son is in fifth grade this year.  I remembered with them just how hard the work was, how their personalities and attitudes changed, and how much more independent they thought they were.  I was nervous walking into this class.  I was almost scared (don’t tell my students, please).

Since the first week, I have basically fallen in love with the fifth grade.  I love the fact that these students are more independent.  I love that they ask questions that really have some thought behind them.  I even love the attitudes and personalities that they are expressing.  I thought the curriculum would be too hard for me to grasp, but I can read up on any of the topics before having to teach them so there goes some of my apprehensions.

I am enjoying every moment that I am in the classroom.  These children have my heart already and I am so excited to see their smiles when they figure out a problem.  There is this one child, I will call him Gabe, that lights up every time he figures something out.  He is a joy to watch in the classroom.  I got to go over the instructions for their Science lesson this week, and I am not sure who was more excited to see me at the front of the class – Gabe or me?  It was fabulous!!

Speaking of being at the front of class, I realized that I am extremely short.  When I stand at the front of the room, I have some difficulty seeing everywhere in the room so I guess my original idea of constantly moving around, observing, is going to be the way I will teach.  I guess sometimes it sucks to be 5’2” but on the bright side I will probably walk about 5 miles a day making laps around my classroom, and I get to “visit” each child.

This is becoming and has been so far such a fabulous experience.  It is one thing to observe or tutor a couple of students, but to stand in the classroom with an agenda of what you want these children to learn is such an awe-inspiring moment.  I am truly loving every minute of it!!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't is amazing how you change your attitude towards a specific age group once you get into the classroom? I feel the same way towards 3rd grade. My group of students is growing on me and I find myself enjoying spending time with each student. I try to work with each individual every time I am in the classroom. This gives me a better sense of their needs and personalities.

    As far as apprehensiveness goes, I am sure every teacher goes through some sort of apprehension before the start of each school year. They probably ask themselves, Are my students and I going to mesh? How do I teach a student who has a learning difficulty if I have never taught someone like that before? After about a week, that apprehension goes away. It was the same for me when I first substituted. I was so nervous the first time. As soon as the students walked into the classroom they were so sweet and helpful that my nervousness went away immediately and I felt home in front of the room.

    I am glad you enjoy fifth grade. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in fifth grade last year. Now you know why I told you it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to find your blog - would you consider setting it to have followers? I would love to be able to be in your friend connect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. no way it doesn't suck to be short because your students dont care it just means that other ways to accomplish your objective need to be taken. I am sure you will work that out. being in the class with the kids is a great experience and being scared at the beginning was how I would describe all of us but now we have a new family to help raise and teach about the wonderful world of learning. how awesome is it to get a job that makes and will make such a difference in so many lives. I know you will be a great teacher because I can feel the passion that you have for your students and about how important it is to make sure the future generations have all the tools they need to succeed. I am glad that you are going to be an educator!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the more famous panels that Michelangelo painted in the Cistine Chapel ceiling is called "The Creation" panel. In it, God is reaching toward Adam - both with fingers outstretched. From the floor of the chapel, it looks like the fingers touch. Actually, they do not. Michelangelo was asked about this and he answered that he did not have the talent to paint that moment.

    Outside of the religious context, I think that teaching is just as magical. When a receptive mind comes in contact with an inspired teacher, it is a moment that defies description.

    As for the height issue, some teachers construct a platform. Doesn't have to be much off the floor or very wide. Materials are readily available and it can be very attractive and comfortable (cover it with carpet).

    ReplyDelete